Updated: Jul 18, 2022
Summer means a lot of things-no school (totes obvi), time at the local pool or at festivals (bring on that tan and give me all the music!), and for the Class of 2022, it means SENIOR YEAR IS FINALLY HERE!!!
So yes...you are almost done! But in the meantime, making memories is such an important step so don't overlook it! Yep, I'm bringing it up right now....it's Senior Photo Season!!
Parents, before life gets crazy busy, and Seniors, before you want to skip ahead to the end, hear me out. The memories you make today will last the rest of your lives. I'm on a mission to be sure you have the greatest Senior Photo Experience possible. Here's how the Kathleen Kidwell Photography team recommends doing that!
1) Plan ahead. For the love of everything holy, do not wait to schedule your Senior's session. Just because they want Fall photos does not mean you should wait until August to schedule them. Given enough time, your photographer can help with wardrobe, hair and makeup, and location suggestions. The last thing you want is to rush through what should be an amazing experience by trying to squeeze in a session because your photographer is booked to the brim. No stress=More enjoyment. So start planning ahead now for the best possible session for your Senior. I promise, you'll thank me later.
2) Choose meaningful locations. Does your family picnic every Sunday at Fox Ridge State Park? Do you like to go for quiet walks to think at Lake Charleston? Do you love taking in the history at Lincoln Log Cabin? Believe it or not, these things matter and you should look for places that hold a special place in your heart. In 20 years, it will make looking back at your Senior Photos so much more memorable. Oh the feels...
3) Ask questions. I know this seems obvious, but honestly, we all get caught up in our busy lives and forget the little things. "Do you have access to a hair and makeup artist? Do you take credit cards? How long do we have until we can come in and see our photos?" Before we implemented welcome guides, we used to get asked these questions a lot. (The answers-we do, yes, and two weeks. Just in case you were wondering!) But no matter what photographer you use, they would rather you ask so no small detail slips through the cracks.
4) Be sure you jive with your photog! Yes, I shortened the word "photographer" because it's fun and that's what your session should be! For that to happen, you have to actually enjoy your photographer's energy and personality. If you don't have a consultation before your shoot, check out your photographer's social media. That's usually a good way to gauge if you'd like being around them, if they have a similar style to you, and if you believe they can bring your thoughts to reality. If that's not enough for you, give them a call or inquire about a consultation. You're going to be spending nearly two hours with this person. They're going to be trying to get you to smile, hyping you up for cool photos, and telling your story. Be sure they are the person you want to work with! (Shameless plug...our team is a blast, but in a geeky, slight sarcastic, we joke about everything kind of way!)
5) Have fun! Cliché, I know. But it's the truth! If you aren't having a good time, it will show in your photos. If you're uncomfortable, that'll show too. This only happens once so be yourself! You enjoy racing? Let's show off that car! Art? We'll create the perfect masterpiece. (See what I did there?) Track and field? We'll hurdle our way to an awesome photo! Ok...now that you're reading my "bad dad" jokes, I should probably end it here.
If you'd like more information about a Senior Photo Session with the Kathleen Kidwell Photography team, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call us at
(217)345-9156, or message us on www.facebook.com/kathleenkidwellphotography. Proudly serving Central Illinois and the surrounding area for over 10 years!
Facebook for Seniors: www.facebook.com/kkpsenior